Sunday, December 5, 2010

Daring Baker's Challenge - Crostata

Man! I am so behind on my food postings! I always make the challenges on time, but post them late. Anyways, this was the Daring Kitchen Crostata challenge. I hadn't even really known what a crostata was...perhaps a tostada? But I found out it was a fruit tart/pie. My church group was having a pre-Thanksgiving feast, so I thought it would be a perfect time to debut this dish. I spent 1 evening making the dough, and then the next evening (the night of the dinner) rolling out the dough into a pie pan, loading them up with different raspberry jam (red and black), and then laying a lattice framework over it. I baked it and excitedly took it out of the oven. We had some heavy cream in our fridge, so I whipped it up into a sweetened whipped cream. I was finally all set to head to the party! I placed the crostata and whipped cream into a roasting pan for protection and drove off.

Day 1:


Day 2:


Unfortunately, crostatas are not meant for transport across the city of San Francisco, along bumpy and hilly roads. So, my poor crostata ended up spilling over and looking like a hot mess, literally! :( Luckily, my dough held up and didn't become soggy. My friends were also so gracious and said it tasted delicious!

1 comment:

  1. oh noooooo did the car get dirty? it looked so promising!!

    did you think it tasted good?

    ReplyDelete